Dan Dan Noodles is a basic Chinese language dish made with tender egg noodles and flavorful minced pork tossed in a savory, barely spicy sauce. It’s the right consolation meals and could have everybody in your loved ones wanting seconds.
This tasty noodle dish is part of the Chinese language Sichuan delicacies. These dishes are at all times extremely flavorful and produce the warmth! Subsequent, you’ll have to do that Szechuan chicken made with homemade Szechuan sauce!
What are Dan Dan Noodles?
The identify “dan dan” really comes from the carrying pole that road distributors used to hold the noodles. They’d stability a basket of noodles on one finish of the pole and a pot of sauce on the opposite finish. The distributors would stroll the streets, serving up this tasty deal with to hungry individuals. So, what precisely are dan dan noodles? They’re a sort of noodle dish made with wheat noodles (at this time I’m utilizing ramen noodles for simple prep), normally boiled till they’re gentle and springy. The noodles are then topped with minced pork and a mouthwatering sauce that’s really the star of the present.
This sauce is created from a mix of hoisin, soy sauce, Chinese language black vinegar, recent garlic, and a bunch of scrumptious spices. It’s good and savory with a slight kick of warmth! To stability out the flavors just a little, I add brown sugar for smoky, caramelized goodness. Regardless that this dan dan recipe makes use of selfmade sauce, the entire dish is definitely actually easy to throw collectively, and takes underneath an hour! The entire household goes to find it irresistible as a result of I imply, you’ll be able to’t go improper with flavorful minced pork and a bunch of noodles.
All of the Substances You Will Want
I do know it appears to be like like lots, however belief me, every ingredient performs an important function in making the flavour of dan dan noodles nearly as good as it’s! Should you’re having hassle discovering a few of these components on the grocery retailer, you might must make a run to your native Asian market. Observe: actual measurements are within the recipe card beneath.
For the Pork
- Vegetable Oil: A tablespoon of vegetable oil is used to prepare dinner the bottom pork in.
- Floor Pork: Tender and flavorful, this pound of floor pork brings a satisfying meatiness to the dan dan noodles. Though minced pork is often added, you may also use floor beef, hen, and even crumbled tofu.
- Chinkiang Vinegar: Only a tablespoon of this tangy vinegar works its magic, including a zingy twist to the pork. Should you can’t discover chinkiang vinegar, rice vinegar can even work as an alternative.
- Hoisin Sauce: This candy, savory, and shiny sauce provides sweetness and depth of taste to the dish.
- Soy Sauce: A must-add for savory goodness!
- Brown Sugar: To stability out the flavors and add just a little sweetness.
For the Sauce
- Reserved Water From the Noodles: Half a cup of the reserved starchy water from the noodles helps create a silky and flavorful sauce.
- Tahini: Creamy and nutty, tahini provides a velvety richness to the sauce.
- Soy Sauce: For the right savory, umami style.
- Hoisin Sauce: Infuses the sauce with an exquisite depth and sweetness.
- Chinkiang Vinegar: Provides tanginess and just a little acidity.
- Brown Sugar: Once more, to stability out the flavors and add a contact of sweetness.
- Chinese Five Spice: This mix is normally fabricated from star anise, cloves, cinnamon, fennel seeds, and Sichuan peppercorns. You should purchase it premade or additionally make it from scratch utilizing my recipe here.
- Minced Garlic: Nothing’s higher than recent garlic! It offers the sauce the right sharp, savory taste.
- Sesame Oil: Provides a tasty nutty taste to the sauce.
- Sesame Seeds: For just a little little bit of texture.
- Cooked Ramen Noodles: Once more, historically wheat noodles are used right here. However for simple prep, cooked ramen noodles is one other nice choice!
- Toasted Chopped Peanuts: For some further texture and nutty taste.
- Chili Oil: Drizzle this on high of the dan dan noodles for an additional kick of spice.
- Chopped Inexperienced Onions: Inexperienced onions or spring onions are the right garnish!
Make Dan Dan Noodles
After getting your whole components prepared, right here’s the right way to take advantage of flavorful pot of noodles round! Dan dan noodles are so irresistible.
- Put together Noodles Beforehand: Prepare dinner your noodles in line with bundle directions, drain after which put aside.
- Whisk Sauce Substances: In a small bowl whisk collectively all of the components on your sauce till mixed.
- Prepare dinner the Minced Pork: In a big pan, over medium excessive warmth, add your vegetable oil and floor pork. Prepare dinner till your pork is nearly cooked by way of.
- Add Sauce: To the pork, add your chinkiang vinegar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Proceed cooking till the pork has cooked by way of.
- Mix: Place the cooked noodles within the pan with the pork and pour the blended sauce excessive.
- Stir Fry: Stir fry the noodles with the pork and sauce till the sauce has coated all the pieces.
- Serve: Take away from warmth. To serve, place a portion of noodles right into a bowl, then high with the toasted peanuts, chili oil, and inexperienced onions.
Customise Your Noodles
These are some things to remember as you make this tasty noodle dish. Be at liberty to regulate the flavour of to your liking! Dan dan noodles have many variations, and that is simply my tackle the basic recipe.
- Regulate the Spiciness: Should you like spicy meals, add extra chili oil, Sichuan peppercorns, or a touch of pink pepper flakes. Should you want milder flavors, use much less or omit them.
- Strive Totally different Noodles: Use ramen, udon, or spaghetti noodles for those who don’t have wheat noodles. They may carry a unique texture and style.
- Regulate the Sauce Thickness: Should you want a thicker sauce, scale back the quantity of reserved noodle water within the sauce recipe. Should you like a thinner sauce, add a bit extra water regularly till you attain the specified consistency.
- Prepare dinner the Noodles Al Dente: To attain the right texture, prepare dinner the noodles till they’re barely agency to the chew. This helps forestall them from changing into too gentle or mushy. You need them to carry up as soon as all the pieces is stir fried collectively.
Dan dan noodles style nice the subsequent day, so make a bigger batch for leftovers to get pleasure from later. These noodles are tremendous straightforward to warmth up for a fast lunch!
- Within the Fridge: Retailer noodles in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat: Microwave in brief intervals, stirring between every one, or heat your noodles on the range over medium warmth till warmed by way of. To maintain the noodles from sticking collectively, you’ll be able to add just a little little bit of water, beef broth, or leftover dan dan sauce when you’ve got it.
Prepare dinner your noodles in line with bundle directions, drain and put aside.
In a small bowl whisk collectively all of the components on your sauce.
In a big pan, over medium excessive warmth, add your vegetable oil and floor pork. Prepare dinner till your pork is nearly cooked by way of.
To the pork, add your chinkiang vinegar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Proceed cooking till the pork has cooked by way of.
Place the cooked noodles within the pan with the pork and pour the blended sauce excessive.
Stir fry the noodles with the pork and sauce till the sauce has coated all the pieces.
Take away from warmth. To serve, place a portion of noodles right into a bowl, high with the toasted peanuts, chili oil, and inexperienced onions.
You should definitely use a barely sturdier noodle and boil them al dente, I first tried to make use of a skinny ramen and boiled it to very gentle and it was a catastrophe.
Energy525kcal (26%)Carbohydrates46g (15%)Protein20g (40%)Fats29g (45%)Saturated Fats10g (50%)Polyunsaturated Fats6gMonounsaturated Fats12gLdl cholesterol41mg (14%)Sodium2240mg (93%)Potassium384mg (11%)Fiber3g (12%)Sugar5g (6%)Vitamin A21IUVitamin C2mg (2%)Calcium74mg (7%)Iron4mg (22%)
All dietary info relies on third celebration calculations and is barely an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will range relying on the manufacturers you employ, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.