That is my favourite non-alcoholic margarita!
There are 101 explanation why somebody won’t wish to eat alcohol – proper now, personally, we’re in a season of much less alcohol consumption for various causes: bodily well being, psychological well being, younger youngsters at residence, and so on. And on this season of much less ingesting, I’ve realized that having a enjoyable, nuanced, truly good margarita in your again pocket that’s extra than simply juice in a glass and doesn’t depend on alcohol is a extremely nice life improve.
So mainly, I make this on a regular basis now. A number of occasions every week. I hold my lime juice stocked, my easy syrup stocked, and it’s prepared for me each time.
How this began: we have been having buddies over for the Superbowl and we wished a non-alcoholic margarita choice for a number of of the chums in attendance. And I began googling.
Plenty of the non-alcoholic margarita recipes I discovered on-line relied actually closely on simply juices and glowing water, and whereas I’m certain these style nice, they don’t have that signature bitterness OR something actually attention-grabbing taking place with the flavour to make your mouth simply gentle up with pleasure and make up for the shortage of alcohol. I actually wished one thing extra enjoyable and extra particular than simply lime juice and orange juice with glowing water.
So the place we ended up is correct right here:
- lime juice
- jalapeño cilantro easy syrup – for warmth, and in addition for a contemporary herbaceous taste
- tonic water – for a little bit of bitterness and depth
- a Tajin rim – for texture, saltiness, and a quick punch of warmth
Three components, no alcohol, one actually actually comfortable mama over right here.
I like this drink a lot – now formally declaring this my Drink of Summer time 2023.
For one more knockout NA summer time drink, this cucumber lime agua fresca has been made in our home at the least 78 occasions. I adore it a lot.
A Single Non-Alcoholic Margarita:
For the Jalapeno Cilantro Easy Syrup:
For the Tajin Rim:
- To make the easy syrup: carry the sugar, water, cilantro, and jalapeno to a low simmer in a small saucepan for about 5 minutes. You need the sugar to dissolve and a few of the taste of the cilantro and jalapeno to steep into the liquid. Pressure out the cilantro and jalapeno, and reserve the syrup in a jar or small pitcher within the fridge for a number of weeks. I love having this available to throw quick, enjoyable, simple drinks collectively!
- For the Tajin rim: Combine the sugar, salt, and Tajin on a small plate. Brush a little bit of lime juice or easy syrup on the aspect or rim of the glass and instantly dip it into the Tajin combination so it sticks to the aspect or rim of the glass. Stunning!
- To make the NA margaritas: Throw just a few ice cubes within the glass. For every marg, I sometimes use 1.5 ounces lime juice, 2 ounces easy syrup, and tonic water to style. You may as well use a shaker right here to combine, or simply pour all of it into the glass and provides it a mild swish to stir. ENJOY YOUR MOMENT.
Tonic Water: Tonic water doesn’t have alcohol, however it accommodates small quantities of quinine which supplies it that deliciously bitter taste that mimics alcohol. Some folks may be delicate to quinine, and it’s recommended to avoid it throughout being pregnant. In case you are quinine averse for any purpose, don’t fear – you could have different choices. If the bitterness is essential to you, I might sub a glittery water with some sort of bitter factor to it, like grapefruit. You may as well add a touch of your favourite bitters, which technically are alcoholic however they’re utilized in such small quantities that many individuals use them in mocktails. When you don’t thoughts a drink that’s on the sweeter aspect, that is additionally scrumptious with any of the glowing juices at Dealer Joe’s (I *love* their glowing watermelon juice on this) or some other retailers that promote enjoyable sorts of glowing drinks. A plain glowing water like Topo Chico would even be nice.
Limes: I purchase an enormous bag of limes for this after which simply juice all of them directly so I’ve a bunch of lime juice within the fridge. I take advantage of this little juicer for juicing!
Pitchers: I take advantage of these adorable little glass milk pitchers each summer time for storing my easy syrups, agua frescas, iced espresso, plenty of various things. For these margs, I juice a bunch of limes forward after which hold one pitcher of lime juice and one of many easy syrup within the fridge for superfast margs anytime the craving strikes! Final life hack.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 5 minutes
Can I Drink This Margarita If I’m Pregnant?
Sure, however you must use one thing else rather than the tonic water.
As written, this margarita makes use of tonic water which accommodates quinine. It’s what provides it a bitter taste and prevents it from being overly candy. Since quinine is not recommended for consumption throughout being pregnant, I might in all probability suggest making this with some sort of various.
Options to tonic water:
- A glowing water like Topo Chico
- Quinine-free tonic water
- A bitter-forward glowing water like grapefruit Spindrift or one thing related
- Glowing juice like watermelon juice from Dealer Joe’s
I promise it’ll nonetheless be scrumptious – I make it with tonic water subs on a regular basis!
And congratulations! ❤️
Can You Use Non-Alcoholic Tequila For This Margarita?
You might! I might simply exchange the tonic water along with your tequila.
Personally, I don’t purchase or drink non-alcoholic spirits simply because they’re costly and we don’t use them usually sufficient and traditionally I haven’t at all times appreciated the style of them. So personally, I don’t use any NA subs.
I discover that this mixture of some “common” components will make a tremendous stand-in for a margarita if you wish to skip the alcohol, which is why I like this recipe! No particular merchandise required.
How Spicy Is This Margarita?
Not spicy in any respect. There’s warmth, and you’ll positively style the jalapeño within the syrup, however it’s not sizzling in your mouth spicy. When you WANTED it to be extra spicy, I might use the next ratio of Tajin to salt / sugar on the rim, and I might additionally add one other jalapeño or two to the easy syrup!