These festive Easter cookies are comfortable and buttery with hints of vanilla and almond. Fairly in pastel shades, they’re topped with my favourite royal icing and embellished to seem like Easter eggs, PEEPS-inspired bunnies with marshmallow tails, and carrots. For easier designs, like on the bunnies and carrots, you need to use my easy glaze cookie icing. Attractive on a plate and fast to vanish, these springtime treats are eggs-tra particular. See what I did there? 😉
For right this moment’s Easter cookies, I exploit my basic sugar cookies recipe. No shock there, as a result of it’s one of the common recipes on my web site! It’s cherished by many, and positively one to maintain in your again pocket together with my recipes for chocolate chip cookies and pie crust.
(If you happen to want a comfortable and virtually creamier-style sugar cookie, you possibly can take right this moment’s adorning inspiration and apply it to my cut-out cream cheese cookies.)
So A lot to Love About These Easter Cookies
- Texture: If you happen to hold the rolled-out dough thick sufficient, you’ll be rewarded with further comfortable and thick sugar cookie facilities. The perimeters are good and crisp, and the royal icing on high provides a textural distinction as nicely.
- Taste: Candy, vanilla- and almond-hinted, and irresistibly buttery.
- Ease: The dough is surprisingly simple to place collectively, however in order for you the cookies to seem like the photographs right here, you’ll want a couple of adorning instruments. See the complete checklist of Really helpful Instruments beneath.
- Time: I like to recommend setting apart a day for making and adorning these Easter cookies. It’s usually 4 hours from begin to end, relying on the extent of adorning element you need. There’s loads of hands-off time if you wish to make one other one in all my spring dessert recipes!
Overview: Make Easter Cookies
- Make cookie dough. You want 7–8 elements for the dough. With so few elements, it’s essential that you just comply with the recipe intently. Creamed butter and sugar present the bottom of the cookie dough. Egg is the cookie’s construction and vanilla extract provides taste. I virtually all the time add a contact of almond extract for extra taste. Flour is an apparent ingredient, baking powder provides somewhat elevate, and salt balances the candy.
- Divide in 2 items. Smaller sections of dough are simpler to roll out.
- Roll out cookie dough. Roll it out to 1/4-inch thickness. In case you have issue evenly rolling out dough, do that adjustable rolling pin. It’s actually useful!
- Chill rolled-out cookie dough. With out chilling, these cookie cutter cookies gained’t maintain their form. Chill the rolled-out cookie dough for no less than 2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- Reduce into shapes. If you happen to want recommendations for cookie cutters, I like Ann Clark brand. (Not sponsored, only a real fan!) For the cookies pictured right here, I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set. That set contains an egg and a bunny, plus different Easter- and spring-themed shapes.
- Bake & cool. Relying on measurement, the cookies want about 12 minutes within the oven.
- Beautify. Extra on the icing beneath.
If you wish to skip each the cookie cutters and the icing, strive these Jelly Bean sugar cookies as an alternative.
The Trick Is the Order of Steps
Discover how I roll out the dough BEFORE chilling it within the fridge?
Let me clarify why I do that. Similar to if you’re making, say, double chocolate chip cookies, to forestall them from over-spreading, the cookie dough should chill within the fridge. For right this moment’s Easter cookies, roll out the dough proper after you make it, then chill the rolled-out dough. (As a result of at this level the dough is simply too comfortable to chop into shapes.) Don’t chill the cookie dough after which attempt to roll it out as a result of it is going to be too chilly and onerous. I divide the dough in half earlier than rolling it out, and extremely suggest you do the identical. Smaller sections of dough are merely extra manageable.
Right here’s one other trick! Roll out the cookie dough straight on silicone baking mats or parchment paper sheets so you possibly can simply switch it to the fridge. Choose the entire thing up, set it on a baking sheet, and place it within the fridge. If you happen to don’t have sufficient room for two baking sheets in your fridge, you possibly can stack the items of rolled-out dough on high of one another (with parchment or baking mat in between).
The cookies keep comfortable for days, so if you wish to save time, these are a superb make-ahead Easter dessert possibility since you gained’t lose any deliciousness. Maintain them in an hermetic container at room temperature till prepared to embellish.
Select Your Icing
I hyperlink to 2 icing choices within the written recipe beneath. You need to use both icing on right this moment’s Easter cookies, and it simply will depend on the look you’re going for. (And the way a lot effort you wish to put in!)
- Select royal icing in order for you exact ornamental element in your cookies, notably the Easter egg cookies in these photographs. It’s truly my most popular sugar cookie icing as a result of it’s simple to make use of, dries in a few hours, and doesn’t have a texture corresponding to hardened cement. It’s truly on the softer facet, with somewhat crisp to it! It requires meringue powder, which is a specialty ingredient however is extra available as of late. Yow will discover it in some grocery retailer baking aisles, most craft shops which have a baking part, or you possibly can shop for meringue powder online.
- Select simple cookie icing should you’re going for a extra easy design, such because the pictured bunnies and carrots. You would *in all probability* use this for the element on the Easter egg sugar cookies, however the element gained’t be as sharp. I often go for this icing if I’m adorning with younger bakers, or if I don’t really feel like utilizing my electrical mixer. It has a glaze consistency, and takes longer to dry than the royal icing: about 24 hours.
On right this moment’s pictured cookies, I used royal icing. If you wish to skip each the cookie cutters and the icing, strive these Jelly Bean sugar cookies as an alternative
Once more, use royal icing for clear particulars on the Easter egg-shaped cookies. Divide the batch of royal icing up into a couple of bowls, and use gel meals coloring to tint the icing totally different colours. I exploit Wilton round icing tip #4 for outlining and flooding, then let that layer dry fully. I often place the embellished cookies on a baking sheet (or I adorn them straight on the baking sheet), make some room within the fridge, and stick the pan inside. The icing will set in about half-hour.
Or use glaze-style cookie icing for a easy ornament. This works on merely embellished cookies corresponding to these Christmas sugar cookies and would work splendidly on the bunnies and carrots in right this moment’s photographs. (You would, after all, use royal icing for the bunnies and carrots as an alternative.)
For the bunnies, I saved the icing white and added sanding sugar sprinkles on high whereas the icing was moist, then minimize a mini marshmallow in half for the tail. For the carrots, I saved the icing white for the stems and added inexperienced sanding sugar. Then I tinted a few of the icing orange for the carrot itself.
For the bunnies, you can even skip the marshmallow tails and use some melted chocolate or brown icing so as to add eyes and a nostril. So cute!
Stack, wrap, reward, and/or retailer: As soon as the icing layers have set, you possibly can stack, wrap, reward, ship, and/or retailer these Easter cookies for per week. Are you able to imagine that a few of the cookies in these photos are 3 weeks outdated? I froze them, allow them to thaw on the counter, and snapped an image earlier than I set them out for serving. There’s somewhat little bit of a texture distinction between frozen and thawed icing and freshly made icing (each icings style a *bit* more durable after freezing), however nobody ever appears to thoughts… or discover.
Really helpful Instruments for Your Easter Cookies
- Handheld or Stand Mixer
- Rolling Pin or this Adjustable Rolling Pin
- Baking Sheets
- Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets
- Cookie Cutters: I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set. That set contains an egg and a bunny, plus different Easter- and spring-themed shapes.
- Americolor Soft Gel Paste Color Kit: In my expertise, that is the BEST coloring for royal icing and easy glaze cookie icing. The colours are all the time so wealthy and vivid. You solely want a teeny drip for the pastel colours in right this moment’s cookies. So these colours will final you a really very long time! I used the sky blue, lemon yellow, violet, and fuchsia. And I used the orange for the carrots.
- Piping Ideas/Squeeze Bottle: If you happen to’re utilizing piping luggage and icing suggestions, I like to recommend Wilton icing tip #4 for outlining and flooding your cookies. For exact element, such because the dots and features on the Easter egg cookies, use icing tip #2 or icing tip #1. If you happen to’re not piping intricate particulars in your cookies, you need to use a squeeze bottle as an alternative of piping luggage and icing suggestions. A bottle is much less intimidating than piping suggestions, and really simple for younger bakers to make use of. I don’t suggest a squeeze bottle in order for you sharp icing element, although.
- Disposable or reusable piping bags: You need to use these for both icing, alongside together with your icing suggestions.
- Coupler(s): If you happen to solely have 1 piping tip and wish to adorn with a number of colours of icing, hold the tip on the skin of the bag by utilizing a coupler so you possibly can simply switch the piping tip to different luggage of coloured icing.
- Sanding Sugar Sprinkles: These are offered in most grocery shops within the baking aisle. You may as well organize them on-line. I like Wilton or CK Products manufacturers. I exploit these on the pictured bunnies and carrot cookies.
You’ll additionally get pleasure from my buttercream egg candies or peanut butter eggs. And hop on over to my Easter recipes part or my Easter brunch recipes publish or Easter dessert recipes publish should you want extra scrumptious concepts. 🙂
These festive Easter cookies are comfortable and buttery with hints of vanilla and almond. Fairly in pastel shades, they’re topped with my favourite royal icing and embellished like Easter eggs, PEEPS-inspired bunnies with marshmallow tails, and easy carrots. For easier designs, like on the bunnies and carrots, you need to use my easy glaze cookie icing.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Put aside.
- In a big bowl utilizing a handheld or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar collectively on excessive velocity till fully clean and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract (if utilizing) and beat on excessive velocity till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl and beat once more as wanted to mix.
- Add the dry elements to the moist elements and blend on low velocity till mixed. Dough can be a bit comfortable. If the dough appears too comfortable and sticky for rolling, add 1 extra Tablespoon of flour.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal elements. Place every portion onto a bit of frivolously floured parchment paper or a frivolously floured silicone baking mat. With a frivolously floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use extra flour if the dough appears too sticky. The rolled-out dough might be any form, so long as it’s evenly 1/4-inch thick.
- Flippantly mud one of many rolled-out dough parts with flour. Place a bit of parchment paper on high. (This prevents sticking.) Place the 2nd rolled-out dough on high. Cowl with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then refrigerate for no less than 1–2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- As soon as chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2 or 3 massive baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Fastidiously take away the highest dough piece from the fridge. If it’s sticking to the underside, run your hand below it to assist take away it. Utilizing a cookie cutter, minimize the dough into shapes. I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set.
- Re-roll the remaining dough and proceed chopping till all is used. Repeat with 2nd piece of dough. (Observe: It doesn’t seem to be a variety of dough, however you get a variety of cookies from the dough scraps you re-roll.)
- Prepare cookies on baking sheets 3 inches aside. Bake for 11–12 minutes or till frivolously browned across the edges. In case your oven has sizzling spots, rotate the baking sheets midway by bake time. Enable cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes, then switch to a wire rack to chill fully earlier than adorning.
- Beautify: Put together royal icing or cookie glaze icing. If you happen to’re utilizing royal icing, it’s greatest to make use of piping luggage and suggestions. If you happen to’re utilizing the cookie glaze icing, you need to use a squeeze bottle or piping luggage/suggestions. Take into account that in order for you sharp design element on the Easter eggs, it’s greatest to make use of royal icing and piping luggage/suggestions.
- For the carrots and bunnies: Maintain a lot of the icing white for the bunnies and carrot tops, and tint some orange for the carrots. Utilizing icing tip #4 or a squeeze bottle, define and flood the bunnies and the carrot tops with white icing. Instantly high with sanding sugar sprinkles. And, for the bunnies, add a halved marshmallow “tail” whereas the icing continues to be moist. If making the carrot cookies, define and flood the orange icing after making use of the inexperienced sprinkles on the carrot tops. Enable icing to set. No have to cowl the embellished cookies as you look ahead to the icing to set. If it’s useful, adorn the cookies straight on a baking sheet so you possibly can place your complete baking sheet within the fridge to assist velocity up the icing setting. Royal icing units inside about 2 hours, and cookie glaze icing units in about 24 hours.
- For the Easter eggs: Divide icing up amongst a couple of bowls. I used 4 colors: sky blue, lemon yellow, violet, and fuchsia. I left some icing white. Utilizing icing tip #4, define and flood together with your base coloration(s). Enable icing to set (I place the cookies within the fridge so the icing units in about half-hour). Utilizing piping tip #2 or piping tip #1, add ornamental designs in several colours like polka dots, squiggles, plaid, or stripes. Enable icing to set. No have to cowl the embellished cookies as you look ahead to the icing to set. If it’s useful, adorn the cookies straight on a baking sheet so you possibly can place your complete baking sheet within the fridge to assist velocity up the icing setting. Royal icing units inside about 2 hours.
- Take pleasure in cookies immediately or wait till the icing units to serve them. As soon as the icing has set, these cookies are nice for gifting or for sending. Plain or embellished cookies keep comfortable for about 5 days when lined tightly at room temperature. For longer storage, cowl and refrigerate for as much as 10 days.
- Freezing Directions: Plain or embellished sugar cookies freeze nicely as much as 3 months. Look ahead to the icing to set fully earlier than layering between sheets of parchment paper in a freezer-friendly container. To thaw, thaw within the fridge or at room temperature. You may as well freeze the cookie dough for as much as 3 months earlier than rolling it out. Put together the dough by step 3, divide in half, flatten each halves into discs as we do with pie crust, wrap every in plastic wrap, then freeze. To thaw, thaw the discs within the fridge, then carry to room temperature for about 1 hour. Roll out the dough as directed in step 4, then chill rolled-out dough within the fridge for 45 minutes to 1 hour earlier than chopping into shapes and baking.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand Mixer) | Baking Sheets | Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets | Cookie Cutters (I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set) | Americolor Soft Gel Paste Color Kit | Wilton Icing Tip #4 for outlining and flooding | Wilton Icing Tip #2 or Wilton Icing Tip #1 for Easter egg element | Squeeze Bottle | Disposable or Reusable Piping Bags | Couplers
- Room Temperature: Room-temperature butter is crucial. If the dough is simply too sticky, your butter might have been too comfortable. Room-temperature butter is definitely cool to the contact. Room-temperature egg is most popular so it’s shortly and evenly combined into the cookie dough.
- Flavors: I like flavoring this cookie dough with 1/2 teaspoon almond extract as listed within the elements above. For lighter taste, use 1/4 teaspoon. As a substitute of the almond extract, strive utilizing 1 teaspoon of maple extract, coconut extract, lemon extract, or peppermint extract. If utilizing lemon extract, you too can add 1 Tablespoon lemon zest.
- You should definitely take a look at my high 5 cookie baking tips AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking tools.