Learn to make quiche! This straightforward spinach quiche recipe has a fragile egg filling and a flaky, buttery crust. It is a scrumptious breakfast or brunch!
I’m making this spinach quiche recipe for Easter brunch this 12 months, and I’m already trying ahead to it. It’s a change from my traditional breakfast casserole or frittata, and although it’s (a lot) extra time-intensive, each second is price it. This spinach quiche is melt-in-your mouth scrumptious. It has a buttery, flaky crust and a custardy egg filling that’s flecked with tender spinach, inexperienced onions, and salty feta cheese.
Should you’re tempted to attempt it, you’ll find my step-by-step information to learn how to make quiche beneath, full with all my greatest suggestions for quiche success. I do know that pastry could be intimidating, however I hope you received’t let this quiche recipe scare you. It’s straightforward to grasp, and it’s an exquisite addition to any breakfast or brunch. I believe you’re going to find it irresistible!
Quiche is a savory egg custard tart or pie. It differs from a frittata in that it a) has a crust and b) has the next proportion of milk or cream to egg within the filling. (For reference, I take advantage of 6 eggs and 1/4 cup milk in my frittata recipe and the identical variety of eggs and 1/2 cup milk in my quiche filling. Many quiche recipes use much more milk or heavy cream!)
Quiche’s most well-known iteration, the bacon, cheese, and onion quiche Lorraine, originated within the Lorraine area of Northeast France, the place it probably descended from the kuchen of close by Germany. Quiche had a little bit of a heyday within the US within the Seventies and 80s, and it nonetheless stays fashionable at present. Like a frittata, it really works superbly with quite a lot of greens and cheeses within the egg filling. I’ve loved quiche flecked with potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, cheddar, Swiss cheese, and extra. However this straightforward spinach quiche is my favourite I’ve tried up to now.
Spinach Quiche Recipe Substances
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this spinach quiche recipe:
- Spinach, after all! I take advantage of contemporary child spinach right here as a result of I like the feel of the entire leaves. Thawed frozen chopped spinach works too.
- Eggs and unsweetened almond milk – They create the custard filling. Sub entire milk for the almond milk in case you want.
- Feta cheese or goat cheese – It provides tangy, salty taste to the filling.
- Scallions – For a contemporary, oniony kick.
- Salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
- And my Easy Pie Crust – It’s flaky, buttery, and tremendous easy to make. This recipe yields sufficient dough for 2 quiches. Make each side-by-side, or freeze the additional dough for as much as 3 months. To simplify this recipe, you could possibly use store-bought pie dough, however you’ll nonetheless have to blind bake it. Extra on that beneath!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
Find out how to Make Quiche
Step one on this spinach quiche recipe is making the pie crust. Yow will discover step-by-step photographs and directions for making it in my pie crust recipe weblog publish. Earlier than you get cooking, listed below are a couple of key suggestions:
- Preserve all of the elements chilly. For the flakiest crust, you need the butter to soften whereas it’s within the oven, not earlier than. Make the pie dough with ice water and butter that’s chilly from the fridge.
- It has to sit back for not less than 2 hours. Ensure you account for this time whenever you’re planning to make this quiche recipe! If you wish to get forward, you may make the dough prematurely. It retains for as much as 2 days within the fridge and for as much as 3 months within the freezer.
- You’ll have to blind bake it. Nobody likes a quiche with a soggy backside! Blind baking the crust helps it arrange earlier than you add the filling. Discover detailed blind baking directions within the recipe card beneath.
After you blind bake the crust, begin on the filling. Steam the spinach till it’s simply wilted. Then, switch it to a kitchen towel and wring out the surplus water.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs and milk, beating till no streaks of egg white stay.
Add the steamed spinach, inexperienced onions, cheese, salt, and several other grinds of pepper. Combine to mix.
Then, assemble the quiche. Pour the egg combination into the par-baked pie crust (it’s okay if it’s nonetheless heat). If needed, clean the filling into an excellent layer.
Lastly, bake in a 350°F oven till the eggs are simply set, 40 to 50 minutes. Permit to chill for not less than 10 minutes earlier than slicing and serving. Take pleasure in!
Suggestions for Success
- Par-bake the crust. It’s price repeating: whenever you’re making quiche, all the time blind bake the crust earlier than you add the filling. With out blind baking, the crust might be gummy and underdone on the underside. With it, the crust comes out gloriously flaky and crisp. Notice that you just’ll blind bake the crust at the next oven temperature than you’ll use for the precise quiche. The excessive warmth is essential for getting scrumptious layers within the pastry.
- Squeeze the spinach. A basic quiche pitfall is utilizing greens that launch an excessive amount of moisture into the filling, thereby stopping it from establishing. Keep away from this by squeezing the surplus water out of the spinach after you steam it. Should you’re utilizing thawed frozen spinach, skip the steaming step, however nonetheless press out as a lot moisture as you may.
- Cook dinner till it’s simply set. If you’re checking for doneness, keep in mind that the quiche will proceed cooking for a couple of minutes after it comes out of the oven. You need it to be smooth and custardy, not overdone and dry, so goal to bake the eggs till they’re simply set. In my oven, this takes 45 minutes.
- Make it a meal. Serve slices of spinach quiche for brunch alongside a green salad or fruit salad. Spherical out the menu with carrot muffins, strawberry muffins, or slices of lemon yogurt cake.
- The leftovers are nice. Leftover quiche retains nicely for as much as 3 days in an hermetic container within the fridge. It’s implausible heat or at room temperature. Take pleasure in it for a fast breakfast, lunch, and even dinner!
Extra Favourite Brunch Recipes
Should you love this spinach quiche recipe, attempt considered one of these scrumptious brunch recipes subsequent:
This straightforward quiche recipe is a scrumptious breakfast or brunch! The fragile egg custard filling is flecked with spinach, inexperienced onions, and tangy, salty feta cheese. Serve it with a inexperienced salad or contemporary fruit. Notice: you may want a 9- or 9.5-inch pie pan to make this recipe.
- Pie Dish (I like this glass dish as a result of I can see if the crust is finished on the underside)
- Roll out one disk of pie dough based on the directions in this recipe, till you’ve gotten a big circle about ⅛-inch thick. Gently roll it over your rolling pin and unroll it over a 9- or 9.5-inch pie dish. Use your fingers to press it firmly into the underside and up the perimeters. Trim any extra dough so that you’ve a ½-inch overhang on all sides of the pie plate, then roll the sting of the dough below itself to line up with the rim of the plate. Use your fingers or a fork to crimp. Loosely tent with plastic wrap and refrigerate when you preheat the oven to 425°F.
When the oven is sizzling, uncover the crust and prick the underside throughout with a fork. Line with parchment paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights to succeed in the highest of the crust. Bake for quarter-hour, or till the sides of the crust are set.
Take away from the oven and elevate the pie weights and parchment paper out of the crust. Bake the crust for an additional 5 to eight minutes, or till the underside is starting to set. Take away from the oven and put aside to chill barely.
Cut back the oven temperature to 350°F.
Place the spinach in a steamer basket and set over a pot crammed with 1 inch of water. Carry the water to a simmer, cowl, and steam for 1 to 2 minutes, or till the spinach is wilted. Switch to a kitchen towel and permit to chill barely, then wring the surplus water out of the spinach.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs and milk. Add the steamed spinach, feta, scallions, salt, and several other grinds of pepper and stir to mix. Pour into the par-baked crust. If needed, use a spatula to clean the egg combination into an excellent layer.
Bake the quiche for 40 to 50 minutes, or till the eggs are simply set. Permit to chill for 10 minutes earlier than slicing and serving.
**Frozen chopped spinach works too. No have to steam—simply permit the spinach to thaw totally and squeeze out the surplus water earlier than including it to the egg combination.